Subject: County to recommend Athens for trash hauling franchise
Courtesy, Gino Sund, Chair , Altadena Town Council
There have been a number of questions on the proposed trash contract, so
here is a note on what I have learned.
I have just gone over the details of the Athens contract that is to be
presented to the Supervisors at the end of February, or maybe the first of
March. There is good news and some no news to report.
The good news:
1. All the service elements in the RFP (request for proposal) will be in
the contract. Attached is a reminder of those elements.
2. There will be some added services included in the contract. The bidders
add services to enhance their chance of winning the bid.
3. The monthly rates for the service will be attractive. While the actual
rates are still not public, remember, that on all previous County contracts,
the new franchise rates were lower than the communities were previously
The no news:
Due to the contracting policies of the County, and they are rather strict,
the contract enhancements and rates will not be made public until the
contract goes to the Board. I am told, that this is done for a couple of
1. There is no guarantee this contract will be approved and another bid and
or bidder could win.
2. There are some legal reasons that the appeal process could be
compromised by prematurely releasing this information.
The bottom line:
If this contract is approved, Altadena will get the services we requested at
a good price.
Franchise Area - Service Features
- Once-a-week automated trash collection service.
- One 96-gallon refuse container, one 96-gallon green waste container, and one 96-gallon recyclable container
- Smaller containers are available upon request and are equivalent to original container size. For example, residents can receive (3) 32 gal. containers for each 96 gal. container
- Residents can receive a extra green waste container and/or one extra recyclable container free of charge upon request
- Residents may also substitute a extra recycle container for a green waste container upon request
- Additional containers can be requested at the low rate of $5 per container per month
- Free Holiday Tree collection services
- Annual curbside clean-up event (including electronic waste)
- On-call bulky item collections in unlimited quantities (twice per year, including electronic waste)
- Four special community clean-up events per year
- Semi-Annual E-waste and Clothing drop off event
- 12 recycling community events per year
- Eight times a year, at no additional cost, excess green waste discarded in bags will be collected upon customer request.
- Four times a year, at no additional cost, excess trash discarded in bags will be collected upon customer request.
- Free “Sharps” mail-back disposal program
- Free roll-out services for the elderly and/or disabled, upon request
- 25 percent senior discount for residents 62 or older who either (1) qualifies for utility rate discounts based on financial need and is the head of household, or (2) generates small amounts of waste and uses 32-gallon containers.
Additional Services Available Upon Request
- Scooter Service (1) – For any customer requesting this service or if it’s determined that resident will be required to use this service when collection vehicles cannot safely access the containers
- Roll-out/backyard service: This service means the driver will retrieve carts from your yard, dispose of your unwanted materials, and return the empty carts back to your yard.
- (1)Please Note: The County will work with each customer, HOA, and Franchisee to determine what constitutes a difficult to services area.